Wednesday 9 January 2013

Approved



Recently I posted a review of the mark 1 messer synthetic from the Knight Shop. I said that overall I found it clunky (all though handling better with a steel pommel), rigid and unsuitable for sparring.

Today I received the mark 2 and had a chance to compare and spar with it. So, is it any better?

Appearance.
Outwardly it looks identical, as the moulds used are the same.

Weight.
Mark 1 720g
Mark 2 600g
If you add the steel pommel (needed to balance the mark 1 in my opinion) the difference is even greater.

Handling.
A vast improvement, every position, technique, cut and thrust is easy to perform, the tool moving well and lightly. Blade on blade was fine.
As far as winding is concerned, it is not steel, but it is a hell of a lot better than a dussack.

Sparring.
Again a great deal better, the mark 2 moves well and doesn't hit like a club, and as my student said after running bodily onto a thrust, in that respect also... "approved".

Overall.
This is a much better tool than the mark one in every way (with the possible exception of winding, but we are talking a minute loss here). I can't wait to train with it on the occasions when steel is not available or impractical. And will whole heartedly recommend it to my students. A massive improvement, Very much Rawlings approved.


No comments:

Post a Comment