Wednesday 23 July 2014

Lignitzer flow drill. Warning clip contains swearing.

In the video below (from a Wednesday class this week) we are working through one of our varied Lignitzer flow drills. There are a few points I want to mention as we go through.

First of all, one of the mistakes I think I and others have made, is that the first action of the opponent is a counter cut, or we counter cut them. This has led to two flawed assumptions.
Firstly in the case of the common interpretation it has made the technique into a poorly and dangerous zornhau extrapolation where none is suggested by the text.
In the case of our previous interpretation we made the assumption that like I.33 the opponent would block or bind with both sword and shield, again an assumption there is no evidence for (if he does it necessitates the wind and thrust be combined), but as I just mentioned there is no evidence in the text that he does.
So I took a simpler approach that works against more common fencing meaning the block with the buckler/shield and counter strike.
So in this we use a simple premise, that in lifting the shield to parry, he covers the eyes, so we recover the thrust beneath.

The wind against his sword can now be achieved in many varied ways, depending on the direction of the block and counter, which means that the same text can be used to cover a multiple of techniques using the same form.
This has worked very well in sparring so I feel we are closer to the truth.

The second point is one of distance, I am going against someone standing with the sword in a second or some variation of a high right ward, not against a vertical ward as this would be dangerous and open. Also not against a thrusting ward as he would attack me on the thrusting line below my shield, again dangerous to me.
Because of this right high posture, the fact that I enter with the cut first means my point or blow will still arrive first as his is more rearward.

The third point is one of the rebound from the over bind on my left (in fact in my center, but apperently on my left. This is the same as the changing strike position for the sake of the drill. It works in the same way though I am starting it from a slightly different point to link the drills.

Finally I cut to Luke's left leg in the last motion, simply because he is not passing forwards with his right leg with the blow from his right side, were he to do so I would be striking his right leg as per the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment