Tuesday 20 November 2012

Where's Wallace?

Thanks to the chaps from the class that gave their free time to help with the National Geographic shoot.
It was quite a gruelling shoot, and the lads were most patient going through drill after drill while the crew from True North picked the best angle, lighting and lenses to make each shot work. I've worked true north once before on "The Bloody Tales from the Tower" series and (just like last time) they were calm, professional , unpretentious, and a real interest in getting an educated viewpoint across.

I can't tell you too much about the programme now (for obvious reasons we have been asked to keep silent about that), other than it's about William Wallace and is most cool.



In addition to the lads running around and stabbing each other, I also had a chat with Joe Crowley, (one of who presenters I last met on the aforementioned "Bloody Tales...") in my role as "resident sword expert" and it's amazing how good he is at getting you to burble about your favourite subject, I just hope I didn't froth at the mouth too much in "I love swords" excitement (I didn't, for once I think I sounded lucid).

The programme is scheduled for next March on the National Geographic channel, I'll keep your posted as and when I know more.

Knight Shop messers.
I've spoken to the folk at the Knight Shop about these, which although a great entry point drilling tool (balance well with a steel pommel and cheep enough for a beginner) I believe are not a good sparring tool, I have made this clear on a couple of forums too. My feeling is that a lot of effort was put into aesthetic of design and not enough into putting a prototype into circulation to test... However, I'm told the plan is to produce the blades in a lighter more sparring friendly tool.
As I said earlier I think they are a great entry point drilling tool (as usual, if used with care and correct safety gear), and I am glad that the Knight Shop are committed to improving it's sparring attributes at a later date.

More soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment