Wednesday 22 August 2012

After FC...

First of all, a message of thanks to all involved with Fight-Camp 2012, both organizers and participants, for a great event. It left me unsure if my arms were exhausted from sword work or if it was the excessive hugging and hand shaking going on, but that is a sign of what a pleasure it was to be there. A great atmosphere, good (and increasingly varied) classes, and the fantastic attitude of all involved made this one of the best yet.

For my part I was teaching both Thibault's rapier and Leichtenaur's longsword. Rather than go through this technique/that technique; I tried to focus on methods of making a situation occur, be it as the attack instigator or the his willing victim; bringing the students attention to how subtle misplacements (not cutting at an exact angle or precise distance) in your technique can make your opponent respond in a less predictable manner.
This is a powerful training tool and can make all the difference in  how training sequences fit together.

In the regular London Longsword Academy classes:
Work continues apace for the first assessments for both longsword and dusssack , and I've been most pleased with how everyone has knuckled down, not only are you showing a lot of patience with the huge amount of detail I am subjecting them to, but also how much it is improving your freeplay (you may have noticed I am coaching you through this a little more as well).  

Well done guys, keep up the hard work.


No comments:

Post a Comment